Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sprung like a steel trap

As a shop we do physical training at Oh-dark-thirty in the morning on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I’m the first one to admit that I’m not a morning person, if you want me to do something important in the morning it’s best to hand me a note so I’ll remember to do it later. It’s not unusual not to expect me to talk more then greetings before say 9 or so in the morning and a couple of cups of coffee warming my belly. Well this post isn’t about my morning habits.

Sunday nights I usually go though a routine of getting my uniforms ready, making sure everything is where I can find it before the morning. As usual, I went to bed at around 10 and something woke me up and I looked over at the clock. Oh no, I’m going to be late, the dumb alarm didn’t wake me up. It was 20 after.

I shot out of bed moving faster then I thought it was possible for my chucky old ass to move, grabbed my wallet and keys and threw my clothes on while running to the bathroom to run my toothbrush across my teeth a total of 3 times then I rushed through the garage and hopped into my truck and pulled out.

I was running my tongue over the toothpaste chunks that were between my teeth and offhandedly reached over and switched the rock station that was playing to NPR so I could listen to the news on the way to work and out came classical music.

Huh?

I looked at the time again, 12:23, I had driven a quarter mile so I turned around and was snoozing by the time the clock said 12:30.

Sheesh, I’m a dork.

It’s been two days and I’m still discombobulated over waking up like that, like something has been missing, I wonder what woke me up anyways? Feels like earthquake weather (if there is a big earthquake in the next few days, I told you so). At least my wife is back in all of her green loveliness. It’s great having her home.

No comments: