Friday, October 03, 2008

Books for Soldiers might close

Out of all of the military support sites out there, there is one that I hold near and dear to my heart (well two if you consider Soldiers Angels, but they’re more family because I know many of the key players), Books for Soldiers. My first trip out to Iraq in 2004, one of my buddies on a message board told me about this website that you put your info down on and they would send you free books and DVD’s just for being deployed. Being a book nerd, I had to check this out and so I did. Several weeks later, I had a couple of boxes of books, magazines and DVD’s including the exact books that I requested and some recommendation books that they thought I might like. Can't beat that.

Two days ago, I got an email from Ellen helps run the site, I guess with the election going on this year and the financial trouble many businesses are in, corporate donations have been drying up and they are short this year. So short in fact that they might have to close shop if they don't get over the hurdle this month. These guys do a great job in supporting the troops forward and I would bet every library in Iraq and Afghanistan gets a large percentage of their inventory from BFS totally free of charge. Monetary Donations go directly towards postage, care package items, rent and bandwidth. If you want to help, go to their donation page, I for one, do appreciate everything that they do.

No comments: