Thursday, January 12, 2006

Landed safe

We landed yesterday after a 21 hour 3 leg flight and our driver Moo picked us up and gives my wife and mom flowers and drives us to the hotel.

After all of my years of being a avid globe hopper, I’ve found the worst thing you can do when you get off the plane is to take a nap, totally messes up your inner clock. So the first thing everyone did? Took a 4 hour nap, so now it’s 4 in the morning and I’m blogging. We’re at a different hotel this year, closer to downtown, there’s a huge mall across the street, you can walk through miles of shops without leaving sight of the hotel. Helpful for dumb Americans like me that can barely speak the language, I can find my way back.

Somewhere on the first leg of the journey, my wife lost her glasses. Her script is a -6.50, whoever found them is probably convinced that he or she can see into the future. We still have two boxes of contacts though so no reason to panic.

Anyhow, we went out to dinner at this restaurant were you order the ingredients you want and then toss them into a huge crock pot/soup cooker thing in the middle of the table. Good stuff. Picture is of my mom, Albert (my step dad), Moo (driver dude) and crock pot thing.

Afterwards we’re walking around the open market, this is Heathers first time so we’re letting her lead the way, she picks up a shirt. I’m watching the reactions to my lovely sleeved pink haired wife, a few double takes, pink haired girls don’t come every day in these parts.

We’re walking along and Albert and my mom spot an eyeglass place, it’s about the size of my wife’s beetle.

My mom says, “let’s get you some new glasses” there’s an optometrist there and my mom does the translation thing and after about 15 minutes they have made up a new script, here’s the picture.

1200 baht later ($30.76) we have ordered a set of glasses that will be in tomorrow, will have to tell you then how they work.

I had to take pictures because my father in law is an optometrist and wanted show him how his brethren worked on the other side of the fence. Back to the room after that where we crashed out and I woke up in the middle of the night to write this. So far that’s all today. Bigger plans tomorrow but I’ll write about them after the fact (OPSEC and all), peace out!

No comments: