Saturday, July 14, 2007

Off with it’s top! (Building flight hazard in San Diego)

If you’re a local out here and pay attention to the news, one of the big stories is an office tower built next to Montgomery Field, the city gave the San Diego firm Sunroad Enterprises permission to build it but the FAA said the 12 story building is a flight hazard. There’s a lot of bickering in the local government here about how this happened with lots of finger pointing both ways. Sunroad has agreed to cut 20 feet off a 180 feet of the tower by October.

I really didn’t think much of it, driving by the building, it doesn’t look that big. But a couple of days ago, I was providing coverage for a change of command at the flight line and what do I see across the way?

Actually the only thing I saw on the horizon was that building, you can see by the picture below (and if you click on the image, you can also see why I need a new camera, I'm not kidding, my sensor is all blotched up from too many trips to the sand box). That building is huge, it’s strange that you can’t see anything else that direction considering we’re in the middle of southern California.

No comments: